St Kevin's School
St Kevin’s School opened on 28th of April 1924 under the parish of St Anthony’s Glenhuntly with an enrolment of 51 students, Prep to Grade 8. By the end of the year the attendance had grown to 92. In 1928, St Kevin’s Parish was formed with Father Conlon as Parish priest. By 1931 the enrolment was 218. This peaked in 1956 with 409 students. Two Presentations Sisters, Sisters Bonaventure and Patrick were the first teachers at St Kevin’s, who, in those early pioneering days, often walked to and from Gardenvale to Ormond until the bus service became more reliable. Originally the school consisted of a hall used as a Church for Mass with three rooms upstairs and a nun’s room. In 1955 the current Church was built, which then allowed the school to be solely used for educational purposes. The modern up-to-date facilities that now exist are as a result of several refurbishments and additions to the original building.
Presentation nuns are a founding part of the rich history of St Kevin’s school. From the beginning in 1924, Presentation nuns were a constant in the school through until 1973.
St Kevin’s Parish
St Kevin’s Parish dates effectively from 30th March 1924 when the foundation stone of the original church/school was blessed and laid by His Grace, the Archbishop of Melbourne Daniel Mannix. Until 1928 it was administered from St Anthony’s, Glenhuntly until its formation as a separate Parish with Fr Frank Conlan as its first Parish Priest. The official opening took place on Sunday 25th November 1928. St Kevin’s Parish was partnered with St Patrick’s Murrumbeena in 2003 and in 2010 the Parish Priest is Fr Barry Tobin. The parishes retain their separate identity but work together a community of faith.
Our Patron Saint
St Kevin of Glendalough 498 – 618
St Kevin (Coemgen or Keivin) was born to a wealthy family in Ireland in 498. He was baptized by Saint Cronan and at seven he was put under the tutelidge of St Petrocus. After five years with him he was placed under the care of three anchorites (Dogain, Lochan, and Enna). He spent three years under their guidance studying the Holy Scriptures before taking on the monastic habit. Some time later he founded a great monastery at Glendaloch. The reputation of Saint Kevin and his monastery attracted a growing number of pilgrims, thus making Glendalough into a great and holy city. Saint Kevin then was elevated to the status of bishop, and erected a church there under the invocation of Saints Peter and Paul. Saint Kevin’s patience was also the stuff of legend: a story is told that once a bird laid an egg in the palm of his hand. Saint Kevin, not wanting to harm the egg, remained motionless until the egg was hatched.
Saint Kevin died on July 3, 618. His feast is celebrated on the third of July in both Orthodox and Western calendars. However in Ireland it is celebrated on the 3rd of June!